What is combination skin?
Combination skin is just as the name suggests – a combination of more than 1 skin type. Usually oily in some areas and dry or normal in others. Typically, the T-zone (nose, forehead, and chin) will be oilier than other parts, and perhaps look quite shiny by the end of the day. It is a common skin type and may need different approaches/products depending on the skin.
What causes / triggers combination skin?
People with combination skin may find that there are certain scenarios where something causes their skin to be extra oily/extra dry some days.
These are typically environmental factors (environment, weather, pollution), intrinsic factors (diet, lifestyle, stress), or the direct result of using unsuitable/harsh personal care products.
Tips to help manage combination skin naturally
- Firstly, don’t tend to one of your issues (e.g. dry skin) and not tend to the other. You need to view your skin type as a whole and the goal is for your skin to become as balanced as possible.
- Do not use products that are too rich, that just exacerbates the oiliness. Rather look for natural products that are lightweight in consistency but are blended expertly to balance plant oils with active ingredients and hydrating botanicals.
- Look after yourself in terms of eating a healthy, balanced diet low in refined sugar, dairy and processed foods.
- Avoid applying heavy makeup every day. If you must wear makeup, look for mineral makeup products that allow the skin to breathe, as opposed to suffocating it with pore-clogging ingredients.
Recommended 3-step skincare routine for combination skin
- Cleanse with a gentle, non-stripping cleanser such as Purify Facial Cleanser
- Treat with the necessary treatment product – for example, Olive Skin Serum on the dry areas and Rescue Acne Cream as a spot treatment on the oily areas.
- Apply a lightweight, pH balanced moisturiser such as Boost Balancing Moisturiser with a synergistic blend of soothing, hydrating, and antibacterial properties to hydrate, balance and protect the skin.