If you’re in Victoria or New South Wales, you’re likely in your second stint of lockdown. As much as this is a trying and somewhat discouraging time for us southies, it’s necessary for the greater good. You’ve likely found a groove since lockdown v1 but please, don’t forget to add self-care into your daily mix. Your mental and physical health is at stake. We’ve gathered a few of our favourite self-care tips to keep you happy and healthy during lockdown.
It goes without saying, you are what you eat. Great mental and physical health starts from within. As tempting as it is to reach for the Tim Tams when you’re stuck inside, you’ll be much better off if you stock up on the good stuff.
Typical behaviours were all guilty off during lockdown is grazing over the day, reaching for the sweets come 3pm and drinking more than usual. It’s understandable too because food and alcohol fills a void.
If you’re looking for a fuss-free way to stay on track, simply swap out sweets, processed foods and alcohol for 5 out of 7 days. Fill up on:
- Oats which are rich in antioxidants and fibre
- Beans and legumes which are full of protein, fiber, B-vitamins, iron, folate, calcium, potassium and zinc
- Leafy greens which can reduce your risk of obesity, heart disease and high blood pressure
- Fruit which is a great source of essential nutrients like potassium, fibre, vitamin C and folate.
And if you’re still craving that sugar or salt hit? Opt for natural, minimally processed options.
The anxiety surrounding the pandemic, added pressure of being removed from your support network and loneliness are all very real situations that can cause the cheeriest of us to feel a little less perky.
Practising mindfulness brings your power back to the now rather than worrying about the future and living in the past. Not sure how to do it? We sourced some excellent tips on practising mindfulness from Headspace.
- Observe your breathing. Take five slow, deep breaths in and out.
- Go for a walk in nature. Pay attention to your movement and connect with it.
- Avoid doing too many things at once. Instead, choose one task and do it slowly.
- Create a journal. Use it to jot down your thoughts when you are feeling scattered.
- Make use of free mindfulness apps to guide you:
You know what they say, strong body =’s strong mind. Exercise, as we know, releases endorphins which are known as the happy hormone. Keeping your body and mind balanced is even more important during lockdown. If your usual gym or class isn’t on due to restrictions, there are a multitude of home workouts you can do in your own home.
Our favourites are:
- Sweat by Kayla Itsines features both high and low-intensity workouts for both beginning and intermediate members.
- Peaches Pilates offers every workout style including Pilates, Boxing, Yoga, HIIT, Weights and Barre just to name a few!
- TiffXO fuses high and low-intensity training in super speedy workout formats or if you have more time, there’s an extended version of each. As a bonus, there are mindfulness and meditation classes available.
You don’t need a professional facial for glowing skin. Our range of natural skincare has been formulated for home use and better still, it works. Set aside an hour and show yourself a little TLC. Our favourite rejuvenating facial is easy to do yourself and we’ve included the steps below.
- Cleanse with our Olive Cream Cleanser. This will remove impurities while calming the skin. This hydrating cleanser won’t dry your skin out in winter, in fact, it gives you a gorgeous hydration boost.
- Give your skin a spritz with our Soothing Facial Mist to hydrate.
- Exfoliate ensuring you pay close attention to the corners of your mouth and forehead. This will prep your skin for your mask.
- Apply a thin layer of Radiant Rose Mask to your skin and relax for 30 minutes.
- Finally, add a few drops of our Olive Skin Serum to your skin followed by Boost Balancing Moisturiser to complete your routine.
This is best done in the evening so your skin can continue the rejuvenation process while you sleep.
Most of all, stay strong!
Radiant Rose Mask$39.95
or 4 fortnightly payments of $9.99 with More infoAdd to cart
Olive Soothing Cream Cleanser$29.95
or 4 fortnightly payments of $7.49 with More infoAdd to cart
Exfoliating 2 in 1 Scrub & Mask$39.95
or 4 fortnightly payments of $9.99 with More infoRead more
Olive Skin Serum$31.95
or 4 fortnightly payments of $7.99 with More infoAdd to cart