What is dehydrated skin?
At some time during your life, you are likely to find that your skin is feeling dry, rough and maybe flaky. Before you reach for a moisturiser especially for “dry skin” take a moment to understand your skin, so you can give it the right treatment. Dehydrated skin is not the same as dry skin. Dry skin is a lack of oil in the skin; whereas dehydrated skin is a lack of water. Dry skin is a skin ‘type’ but any skin type can suffer from dehydration – and at any time.
What causes /triggers dehydrated skin?
There are many factors that may contribute to skin dehydration, such as:
- Not drinking enough water
- Environmental factors such as wind, cold air, heating/air conditioning, excessive sun-exposure
- Harsh cleansers and skin care products (that disrupt the skin’s natural acid mantle)
- Alcohol & smoking
- Dehydrating caffeinated beverages (tea, coffee, cola)
- Stress/emotional disharmony
- Dietary imbalances & medications
Tips to help combat dehydrated skin naturally:
- Switch to well formulated natural skincare free from harsh alcohols and drying chemicals
- Keep up your water intake regularly throughout the day and avoid caffeinated drinks
- Do something for yourself each week to keep your mind and spirit happy – lessen the stress load!
- Consider some Omega supplements to provide hydration from within
Recommended 3 step skincare routine for dehydrated skin:
You can continue to use products designed for your specific skin type, but consider adding one or all of these products to your routine to curb the dehydration:
- Cleanse with Purify Facial Cleanser if you have oily skin, and for all other skin types that are dehydrated – use the Olive Soothing Cream Cleanser.
- Treat with Exfoliating 2 in 1 Scrub and Mask – this will slough away excess dead skin cells so your products better absorb. You can also pop on Radiant Rose Mask a few times a week for an immediate hydration boost.
- Hydrate with Olive Skin Serum. This can be applied directly to a damp face or add a few drops added to your moisturiser before applying.